|Learn To Lead Step 5
We have designed a progression to ease you safely onto the sharp end of the rope. We practice placement of protection, then rehearse an easy pitch. Finally, you are placing your own protection in the simulation of a lead, but still protected by a top-rope.
You learn about route finding, reducing rope drag, placing protection for the second, and setting up a good belay at the end of your lead. This course helps you get on the way to climbing safely on your own. Previous experience following 5.7 is a prerequisite.
Skills covered will include:
- Lead gear, racking and harness kit
- Placing protection including Stoppers, camming units and natural protection
- Building and equalizing top-of-pitch belay anchors
- Belaying the second with the most appropriate method
- Strategies of placing lead protection
- Evaluation quality and strength of placements
- Resting effectively while placing lead protection
- Practice leads and belay anchors with a secondary top rope belay
Cost: Custom Rates
Custom rates...Contact us to book.
- Basic prerequisites of Steps 1-4
- Belaying a lead climber
- Climbing 5.6 or greater on a top-rope
- Previous rappeling experience
- Placement and removal of Stoppers® (wedge nuts) and camming units to create an equalized anchor to a master point
Questions about this clinic?